Truth be told, lasagna is one of my favorite foods! The problem is that I try to avoid gluten and cow’s dairy because they don’t agree with my digestive system. I decided that I wasn’t going to let those two ingredients slow me down.
I set out to create lasagna that was made with brown rice noodles and goat’s cheese. The result was amazing. Plus after eating it, my digestive system and I are still friends, which is always a good thing.
The lentils provide a good punch of protein. The goat cheese also provides protein and tends to be easier for people to digest than cow’s dairy. The brown rice noodles make this dish high in fiber, and they’re an easily digestible grain.
Goat Cheese, Lentil, and Mushroom Lasagna
1 small squash (you will need 2 ½ cups of mashed squash)
1 cup water + ½ cup water
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
8 ounces (227 grams) white mushrooms, sliced (approximately 16 small mushrooms)
1 green zucchini, diced
½ cup brown lentils (dry)
1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ tablespoon basil
½ tablespoon oregano
1 28-ounce (796 milliliters) can of crushed tomatoes
5.3 ounces (150 grams) soft goat cheese
2 cups (200 grams) goat feta, crumbled
1 10-ounce (280 grams) box brown rice lasagna noodles — approximately 12 noodles (I use Tinkyada brand)
Directions to Prepare the Lasagna:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Preparing the squash layer: Cut squash in half and remove seeds. Place face down in a baking dish with 1 cup water. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until easily pierced with a fork. Peel off skin and discard. Cut squash into chunks and mash with potato masher. Measure out 2 ½ cups and set aside.
3. Preparing the tomato sauce layer: In a medium-size pot on medium heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, onion, and garlic. Sauté until translucent. Add mushrooms and zucchini and cook for 5 minutes. Add lentils, sea salt, pepper, basil, and oregano. Stir and leave on heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add can of tomatoes, stir, cover, and cook for about 45 minutes, or until lentils are cooked. Stir occasionally.
4. Preparing the cheese layer: In a bowl, mix together soft goat cheese and ½ cup water until smooth. Set aside. Crumble the feta into a separate bowl and set aside.
5. Cook brown rice lasagna noodles according to instructions on the box.
6. It”s time to assemble the lasagna.
Layer 1 = â…” of the tomato sauce
Layer 2 = 3 noodles
Layer 3 = ½ of the squash
Layer 4 = 3 noodles
Layer 5 = â…” of the tomato sauce + all the smooth goat cheese + ½ the goat feta
Layer 6 = 3 noodles
Layer 7 = ½ the squash
Layer 8 = 3 noodles
Layer 9 = remaining tomato sauce + rest of the feta
The lasagna is ready for cooking. You can store it for up to 2 days in the fridge.
Directions to Cook Lasagna:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Cover with tinfoil and bake on medium heat for approximately 45 minutes (or until hot in the center). Remove the tinfoil and cook for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Note: To make this dairy-free, create your own nut cheese with sunflower seeds, macadamia nuts, or cashews. Also, to make this grain-free, make zucchini noodles using a mandoline instead of the rice noodles (this was a great trick taught to me by my good friend Estelle).