Eating healthy is one of the most common struggles that people have. It can be difficult to always make sure you are making the right choices, and to combat cravings. Education about food and nutrition is the biggest combatant in the fight for healthy eating. Some facts about nutrition that everyone should know include:
- Some fats are good for you, and important
- When you are taking in more calories than you are burning, weight gain happens
- Not all sugars are bad for you
Calories intake is the foundation of weight loss. If you calorie count, you can eat whatever you want with portion control.
In case you do like bigger portions, just make some healthy swaps for food you normally eat. Here are 16 healthy things you can swap out for some of your favorite food. Stretch your calories!
1. This one is perfect for anyone that loves a good taco, wrap and burger. Use lettuce leaves to hold everything in place instead of bread. Lettuce leaves actually make the perfect tortilla bowl.
2. This one is a game changer. If you are someone who loves mayo, swap it out for some avocado. It’s smooth, creamy, super healthy for you, and you will get addicted. We promise.
3. Next time you’re baking something, leave out the oil and put in some delicious and healthy Greek yogurt. It will up the protein content of your baked goods as well.
4. Cauliflower rice is a great substitute for, you guessed it, rice! Use it in any dish as you would normally use rice and feel good about your meal.
5. Cauliflower is a magical vegetable, you can use it in so many different ways. You can use it to make a pizza crust and even replace the potatoes in potato salad with it!
6. Next time you make pancakes, leave the Aunt Jemima on the shelf. Make a nice fruit compote to pour over your fluffy breakfast. There are delicious recipes for fruit compote out there, including a vanilla cranberry compote.
7. If you feel like lettuce as a burger bun is not your thing, there is yet another healthy option. Try a nice portobello mushroom as an alternative.
8. Search the web and buy yourself a zoodler. What is this magical appliance? Well, you can use it to make zucchini and eggplant spaghetti to replace starchy pasta.
9. Leave out excess sugar from your baking and instead use some delicious apple sauce for sweetness.
10. Who doesn’t love tater tots? Besides their cute name, they’re small fried potatoes that are the equivalent to heaven. But since we’re doing healthy swaps here, try some cute broccoli tots that are just as yummy and ten times healthier.
11. This one is easy. Next time you’re making pancakes, don’t use the store bought mix or white flour. Buy some whole wheat flour and you’re set.
12. Or if you really want to try something adventurous, try a Paleo banana pancake. All you need are bananas and an egg!
13. Nutritional yeast has a gross sounding name, but it makes for a great healthy alternative for cheese. It even goes great on popcorn! Just grab some at your local grocery store.
14. Are sugary juices and soda pops a big staple in your diet? Make a big batch of some delicious fruit tea with some honey, or whatever flavor you like, and stick it in the fridge. Delicious and nutritious!
15. Replace your cows milk with some delicious almond or soy milk. Homemade almond milk is also an option to police the ingredients you consume.
16. If candy is your thing—and bare with us because we know it sounds like an inadequate replacement—dried fruit is a healthy alternative! Dried fruit has natural sugars, is less fattening, and is chewy just like some candies are. Of course your palate may take sometime to adjust to these swaps but, once it does, you will find it hard to go back to unhealthy food. Happy eating!